Wedding Dress

I made this dress for my wedding.  I didn’t want a traditional boufy meringue and I wanted something I could move and roll around in.  Thanks to making this dress I am now having a love affair with silk.  It’s so easy to work with and looks and feels amazing.

front

To make this I used 4m of burgundy/green shot dupion silk (with quite a lot left over), the same of satin lining, about 4m each of scarlet, bronze, and deep burgundy ribbon, a zip, and a hook and eye.  Total cost to me – $268.  It took about 10 hours’ labour, most of which was making 137 leaves and sewing them onto the dress in a cascading pattern (then taking them off and sewing them on again 2mm to the left).’

I also made my partner’s waistcoat on the same theme, which makes us one of *those* couples..

Photos by Polly Lind who is also an amazing textile artist.

Side view:

side view

Back view:

back

Back view showing close up detail of shoulder leaves:

back closeup

And a couple of candid shots just because I like them.  🙂

IMG_0289

I actually spent most of the wedding barefoot because I am basically a hippie but someone snapped this just before the shoes came off.

paddle